Friday, April 12, 2013

More watercolor and other things on my mind

I'm still living without a computer! All my blogging, instagram, tumblr, and Facebook updates have been via iPhone or iPad. It works, but nothing beats a clean high quality scan of artwork rather than an iPhone photo.
If all goes to plan, I should have a PC going in a week or two. I built a computer last week, Frankensteining some old parts from broken computers (keyboard, mouse, case, pc fans, ram), and buying new parts (new motherboard, i7 ivy bridge 3.4ghz CPU), new graphics card, and a new 520 watt power supply. After building it though, ran into a snag. The CPU was faulty! Mailed it back for a replacement, and that should be here within a week or two. Can't wait to be running lightning fast! Since moving to Tri Cities, I've been using an ancient borrowed laptop. It crapped out two weeks ago too. It's been a living hell not being able to work in Photoshop. But I honestly think that is why I've also been so into watercolor, linocut, and screen printing recently.
Speaking of screen printing, I'm finally buying the bullet and getting into it. For a decade I wanted to do it, but thought the kits were expensive. The awesome presses are also ridiculously priced. So I did some Googling for plans, and I watched some YouTube videos. Right now I'm going to build a one color screen printing press, with plans to build a four color setup down the road if this really takes off. I'm so stoked.

Here are some recent works I've been doing.








These are the first two pages of El Gran Búho which will appear in a lucha libre comic-zine early summer.
















These are all watercolor postcards I've made since I've uploaded pics of the last batch. The last two are Tarot/Lotería cards. I'm thinking of doing a couple things with these. First, I'd like to make a cool screen print or linocut of the chiromancy hand. Second, I've always wanted to make my own series of tarot cards. I might get several of these scanned and printed as a small run of real postcards through moo.com. Lastly, I think I might paint one or two on large canvas for an upcoming art show.

So that's what's been going on with me! I'm really excited to get into screen printing for making prints, posters, and shirts. I'm going to start slowly spreading the word and taking small jobs in town from local bands, etc. Once I feel like this is something I can do that will potentially supplement my income, I'll build a four color setup and see what happens. I've always wanted art to be my life. I love helping people in the hospital, especially when I have to interpret on the fly for patients who speak Spanish. But working in a hospital as a patient transporter, or even as an EDA or EKG tech doesn't light my fire. My mind is so geared for art, it's what's occupying the back of my mind while at work.

Location:Pasco, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment