Saturday, June 21, 2008

I'm letting you in on a secret!

Before I get to the secret that you are dying to read, I want to say that I've been busy and lazy at the same time. It makes no sense, I know... I guess I should say I am busy with work and seeing friends, being a participating member of that thing called life. I now know what it is to have a daily life, wow! Again, let me tell you that graveyard jobs are the work of the devil. But, I've been lacking in my love of art and music. At first it was a month hiatus after my art show, I was a bit burnt out. But then it grew into me being lazy about it. I think I just like to have a deadly fire burning under my ass to keep me active. At first it was the art show deadline, and now it is my secret which I will now reveal:

¡¡I AM GOING TO PUBLISH A COMIC!!

Yes, you read that correctly. I have been in and out of planning this for some time, and now I have charted a course, and the ball is rolling, slowly, but surely. I have decided to work on a comic that has been in hibernation for a long time, but Andy brought it up recently and it kick started me into a direction. I let some ideas marinate in my brain, pulled out many reference books, questioned some friends, and basically came up with an origin story for a volume 1 graphic novel. But before I do the graphic novel, I came up with two ashcan/online single story comics to pump out first. This way I can flex my comic production muscles, get these printed via Ka-Blam, then pass them out for input, and hopefully use them as a pitch to my favorite indie comic company. I know a couple people who were printed by them, so I don't see why I can't.
We'll see how this rolls out, I'm planning for the first ashcan comic to be ready in August. As a bonus, I am having someone translate it into Spanish for me, I'm going to have a limited Spanish Language run of these also, so speak up when I get them printed.

I know I haven't mentioned the comic idea yet, but I want to keep it under wraps until the first ashcan comic is done. But for those who want to play detective, there is a clue to this comic's identity somewhere on my website. Have fun figuring that out.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention some things I've been doing. I was going to write a daily comic (last blog I believe), but it snowballed into my upcoming comic, which is why that didn't sprout. I also lost my Moleskine which had notes for issue one.
I also saw Man of La Mancha, which was great! I've always been a fan of Don Quixote. I was sad that there were no Spaniards playing any roles in the local production though.
I also just went to the Spokane ComiCon at Gonzaga. That was a lot of fun. I met a bunch of people, made friends, caught up with old friends, and even went to dinner with a bunch of comic artists. Next year I am definitely getting a booth and selling paintings, commissions, and promoting my comic.
Well, that's all for now, I need to sleep. I work at 8:00am tomorrow. BTW, I like my job a lot. I like working in the daylight hours. I like meeting all sorts of people in the hospital. I like to have an important role in the hospital, it makes me feel more productive and helpful. I just feel good about helping people. But with all this in mind, I still like my freetime more :D How else am I supposed to work on my projects?

That's about it. But first I'm going to write a random note to myself here. While in the shower, I came up with a weird concept for a painting that I want to do it. Its of myself, waist-up, in the steamy shower, brushing my teeth and looking like a tired wet rabid dog... yeah, sounds weird. I need to sketch it. If I like it, I may use it as a profile photo on the myspace.... which reminds me, I need to copy this and paste it into my Myspace blog, so everyone will read it. Hardly anyone checks here for my blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment